Chetan Bhagat's Half Girlfriend - Review

Blurb Behind the Book
Once upon a time, there was a Bihari boy called Madhav. He fell in love with a rich girl from Delhi called Riya. Madhav didnt speak English well. Riya did. Madhav wanted a relationship. Riya didn't. Riya just wanted friendship. Madhav didn't. Riya suggested a compromise. She agreed to be his half-girlfriend.

From the author of the blockbuster novels Five Point Someone, One Night at the Call Center, The 3 Mistakes of My Life, 2 States and Revolution 2020 comes a simple and beautiful love story that will touch your heart and inspire you to chase your dreams.


Book Review
I am not a Chetan Bhagat fan, nor do I hate him. I pick up random books and this was one of those books I bought at a steal price of Rs.95 from Amazon. To tell you the truth, I bought it just because of the unbelievable discount.

What should I say? Half Girlfriend is a half-baked story if I have to give my review in one line. AS usual, Chetan Bhagat brings in subplot with the main story that bores you like hell and then the whole story is too clichéd and typically written just for the movie adaptation.

But, I liked reading it and was able to finish it off in just two sittings. One has to give that credit to him. He actually writes in simple language and you get hooked with the story. I did not like the guy’s character here. He was a typical needy and desperate guy. Riya on the other hand was a confused character and I could not understand most of her behavior.

The good things were some lines here and there which ignited the feeling of love but they were so random and were unable to maintain the momentum.

Overall, buy if you are a fan of his or you want a light read after reading those heavy literature books by acclaimed authors. A nice time pass at best so don’t expect anything great out of it.

PS: Let's not be too hard on him.

Rating - 2.5 Stars